What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines "personal information" broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. For the purposes of this policy, "Personal Information" means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable federal and provincial privacy legislation.
For example, your Personal Information includes information that relates to your educational history, academic transcripts, personal profiles, gender, ethnic origin, nationality, languages spoken, information contained in your application for our programmes or your study permit or visa, an unlisted address or phone number, an identifying number, among others. However, some Personal Information that is otherwise publicly available in not protected by applicable privacy laws.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, CISS collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about our students in order to provide our students with the various adult and youth educational programmes, language learning, tutoring, summer camps and tours we have developed and operate. CISS does not sell Personal Information to any third parties.
More specifically, we collect, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to assist you with your application for any of our programmes, including obtaining the necessary legal guardianship, study permits, immigration and Visa approvals;
- to evaluate you for placement in, and assist with registration and enrolment with CISS affiliated public and private high schools in Canada;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell, administer or otherwise provide CISS's services;
- to distribute our newsletters, information and other materials to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, CISS may disclose your Personal Information to:
- schools and school administrators, consulates and government agencies, agents, residential providers and homestay families, and service providers, including organizations or individuals retained by CISS to perform functions on its behalf;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of CISS, is providing or seeking the information as your agent; or
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by CISS, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, CISS will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. You may inform CISS in writing of any changes requiring to be made with your personal information. Once informed by you, CISS will make all reasonable efforts to update, correct and remove any outdated or incorrect information. Access and correction requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, CISS employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. For instance, we operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain personal information in our records for as long as necessary to fulfill the intended purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Privacy and our Website
In order to provide our website visitors with information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question or obtaining information. You should be aware that e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
The only personal information CISS collects via the website is the information voluntarily supplied by you if you contact CISS via the Website.
For information on CISS's privacy practices, please contact its Chief Privacy Officer at:
Canadian International Student Services Inc.
Chief Privacy Officer
439 University Avenue, Suite 2110
Toll Free (from within Canada):1-866-258-4303